Google me Find me on Twitter Link to me View me Get the RSS Subscribe via email Email me

Punctuation Commands for Dictation in Voice to Text for Android

Many attorneys like to dictate letters or messages using their Android device. I use voice to text quite often to compose text messages, and when combined with Google Now’s voice commands, your phone becomes a handy personal assistant. Of course, I’ve talked about making your own dictation system with Google Drive and your Android Device. But Christian Williams wonders the following:

I wonder what punctuation can be used, if there is a command for new line or paragraph breaks.

Unfortunately Christian, the short answer is that there aren’t any. Unlike Dragon Naturally Speaking or other true text to speech programs, Android’s speech to text engine isn’t that good. Well, it’s good, but when we talk about dictation, Android sucks.

STT types what you tell it to

Android’s speech to text engine is quite literal. That means, when you say, “new paragraph,” the STT engine translates and types, “new paragraph.”

Android Dictation Commands

This “stupidity” happens for essentially two reasons:

1. STT isn’t really designed for dictation (at this time); and
  2. Google’s interested in conversational context for its STT engine.

STT design

In the grand world of speech to text, dictation — at least as attorney’s think of dictation — takes a very distant third fourth fiftieth one-hundreth place. The reality is that most Android consumers will never use their Android devices with the intent of dictating long, legalese-filled, memos and diatribes. The true purpose, at least in the STT world according to Google, is to translate and send short bursts of text (think text messages or Twitter updates — 140 characters), rather than lengthier discourses.

When STT accomplishes that goal, 95% or more of users are happy.

The conversation is the important factor

Those happy users, sending short bursts of messages, is what Google’s trying to capture. Google’s Hummingbird search update is all about conversational searches rather than Boolean-like queries. So, similarly, STT tries to capture the same elements.

But if you remember conversational, it’s easier to get engaged with STT.

What commands work?

Ultimately, figuring out what commands work, and when, will drive you bat crazy. Here’s a list of usable commands to make STT work a little better. Hopefully, Google will improve and incorporate more dictation commands, such as punctuation.

• Period = period (.)
  • Comma = comma (,)
  • Question mark = question mark (?)
  • Exclamation or exclamation point = exclamation point (!)
  • Enter or new line = moves to a new line
  • New paragraph = new paragraph

Making it all work together

I’ve found that the best way to get dictation working is to have a continual conversation with your device. This means that if you pause for long periods of time, usually 2 or more seconds, STT won’t connect your command as a command. This is especially true for commands like “new paragraph” and “new line” or “enter.”

I find that if you pause only slightly, STT will spell out “enter,” rather than execute the command. It’s a really finicky function, but if you do it right dictation works well.

But it’s not Dragon Naturally Speaking

If’ you’re dead-set on having the Dragon experience, Android’s STT will disappoint. But, if you recognize Android’s dictation for what it is, then you’ll probably be satisfied with what you’re getting.

If you know of more commands that work, let me know so we can help everyone.

35 Responses to Punctuation Commands for Dictation in Voice to Text for Android

1. SierraLeone says:

“smiley face” is also a command

2. SierraLeone says:

Smiley face sad face and KISSY face also work

3. j says:

you can also say the words “smileyface” and “sadface” and Google will automatically insert the emoticon.

4. Josh says:

It would be another step less convenient, but you could later do a search and replace from your computer for the symbol you want to enter, for instance, replace “new paragraph” in your text with “^p^p” (if using MS Word). Or use a word that you would never use in your legalese text, maybe “wombat”!

• Dan says:

On Android, saying “new line” went to the next line properly and “new paragraph” skipped a blank line properly as long as you say “new line” or “new paragraph” QUICKLY after “period”, “comma”, “question mark” or “exclamation point”.
      Saying it after “colon” or “semicolon” did not work, nor did saying it without one of the aforementioned preceding punctuation marks.

5. I only wish I could use quote unquote.

• Mark says:

Right??? I use it, quite literally, 10 times a day. How can you FUNCTION without the quotation marks, unless you are a txt spk moron?

6. steve says:

On my Android phone the commands only work when the phone is also connected to the internet. Does anyone have a solution for this?

7. Jay Dee says:

When I read that “Smiley Face” and “Sad Face” worked I thought I’d try some others.

I found that “Tongue Face” also works, but the first time I tried it, Google returned “c**t face” complete with the asterisks – lol.

8. Karin says:

these all work on my Galaxy 4. Thanks for the insights! :)

9. Jane says:

“exclamation mark” also works

10. Lamar says:

how about capital letters?or spaces between sentences?I am dictating this as an example.notice the sentences do not start with capital letters.also there are no spaces between the sentences.

• I think there’s an issue with your settings. I’m dictating this from my phone and it’s working perfectly.it would help if we knew what type of phone and Android version you’re running.

11. Lamar says:

Thanks for responding, Jeffrey. I appreciate you and your website.

Both my phone and tablet do the same thing. The phone is an HTC PG86100. It’s the 3D camera phone which has Android version 2.3.4 and kernel 2.6.35.13-g277012f. Yes, it is getting old. :-)

The tablet is an Asus ME173X with Android version 4.2.1 and kernel 3.4.5.

I am not sure how to change those settings, but will look into it. Thanks again for your time.

12. Lamar says:

It says I am using the Google Text-to-speech engine. It is using the Android Keyboard for key input. When typing, it does correct capitalization and such.

13. Scott Maddix says:

Now all we need is a way to spell out unfamiliar words. Or backspace.

14. John Gary says:

how do input the work “period”? I have tried repeating it and putting it into different contexts and delays. I just get the punctuation mark.

• Jessie says:

I found that if you use the word “period” in the middle of the sentence and watch as it is typing, initially it will show up as a punctuation mark but will change if you continue speaking a a normal pace. If you pause however, then you will have trouble. my trial sentence that worked was something along the lines of “In my second period class I have thirty students.” (I am a teacher in case that was obvious lol)

Let's discuss this