Google me Find me on Twitter Link to me View me Get the RSS Subscribe via email Email me

How-to: Mass Delete Spam and Trash in Gmail

Most of the time you wouldn’t need to bulk delete spam or empty your trash because Gmail automatically deletes them every 30 days.

However, if you’re like me, you prefer to keep your spam and trash clean, so you like to delete it all yourself. What really frustrated me was not being able to delete spam or empty trash from my mobile device. Well, since the recent update, now you can.

Navigate to the spam or trash folder in your Gmail app. Click the menu button (3 dots in the right hand corner) and select “Delete Spam” or “Empty Trash” from the list.

Empty Trash

Wait 2-3 seconds and voila, it’s all gone.

This is a great addition to the Gmail app. If you’re not already using it, get going!

21 Responses to How-to: Mass Delete Spam and Trash in Gmail

1. rl jones says:

When I click the 3dots for menu delete spam, trash does not show up, really need to clear the garbage.

• Make sure you’re in your “Spam” or “Trash” folders. Use the left side menu to scroll into the right folder. When you’re in the right folder, then you’ll be able to empty the garbage.

2. anne says:

my phone does not give the option to delete its a samsung sii, when you click on the left side…3 dots~~….

• Hmm…make sure you have the most recent Gmail app. It’s version 4.7.1 (as of 12/23/13).

Make sure you’re using the Gmail app and not the standard “Mail” app.

The 3 menu dots are in the upper right hand corner of the Gmail app.

3. anne says:

When I press on the msg, it highlights and there is a check mark next to it and yes when I click on the the 3 menu dots on the right side on the upper right hand corner….it does not give the delete option…only options to change the label or move to another folder.

my phone does frequent updates, it dosent even show the trash can.

not happy!

4. anne says:

i figured it out.
    I have to press the little square button on the bottom of the phone and it gives the delete option!
    thanks for your help.
    happy holidays!

5. Nicole says:

I still don’t have the delete option..

6. Lisa Connon says:

I have the Android Smart Phone and my trash and spam move to another folder then back. It’s like I’m in a never ending circle!! Lisa

7. Lisa Connon says:

Also, my trash only reads trash, not empty trash. Same with spam. Thanks for any help. It’s messing with my phone!! Lisa

8. Bob says:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with the latest Android software and for the life of me can’t delete the trash. I’ve tried using your suggestions from your thread to no avail. HELP!!!!

9. Lisa Connon says:

I figured out how to empty trash and spam on the android 4.0 smartphome. If you need HELP, text me @ 585-286-0030. Lisa Connon.

10. Be aware that this post talks about the Gmail app.

11. This works in spam and trash but not in other folders such as social and promotions, alas.

12. Manuel says:

Either Google or Samsung are yahoos for making this task solo difficult.

Let's discuss this