Good news Apple fans, September 12 looks like the release date for iOS 6 and the new iPhone. Too bad Android already does most of the things your new iPhone will. What’s more, it looks like Samsung will exact its revenge once Apple releases an LTE iPhone. Better not get too addicted to 4G LTE, it might not be available on your iPhone 5.
And here’s “the rest of the story“:
- Motorola held its “On Display” event in NYC, and from the many stories, there’s some awesome things going on. Google even got involved and announced it activates 1.3 million Android devices per day. Picking my jaw up off the floor, I note that according to some, that’s nearly a 30% growth rate in 3 months. It’s no wonder Apple is pissed.
- Motorola also announced its new $100 credit program if your phone doesn’t get the Jelly Bean update. There aren’t a lot of details on which phones will qualify (maybe this means no-go for Moto-Droid), nor when. You just sign up, and apparently, you’re on the list. There’s really no questions asked, though I suspect you’ll return you phone in exchange for the credit.
- Netflix got a much-needed update that allows you to toggle wi-fi only, which now that we’re moving to restricted plans, will save data. Though, I’ve noticed it really isn’t that big of a drain, even when I’m fully Netflix-engaged.
- According to the Android developers site, Gingerbread (Android 2.3) is the hot commodity in Android phones. That said, the nubmer of devices running Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.x) is increasing, up to nearly 21%. If you’re not on ICS, get your device there. I thought Gingerbread was heaven until I tasted the coolness of ICS.
- Oracle’s misery keeps going. Not only did it have to reveal that it paid a blogger in Germany to give it positive web-press, now the company will pay Google’s legal fees to the sum of nearly $1 million. See, I told you so.
- Hootsuite announced it’s acquiring my favorite Twitter client, Seesmic. Unfortunately, I haven’t been a big fan of Hootsuite, but I’m growing more in love with their tablet-optimized app. So, we’ll see how this migration goes.
- Futurelawyer announced he’s going “rogue” and abandoning Facebook for Google+. While I can’t get myself to totally abandon the platform, I have started using and interacting on Google+ a lot more.
- If you’re interested in tethering your phone and other devices, and you haven’t checked out this post, then this one in PC World might give you the definitive answer.
- Mrs. The Droid Lawyer got herself a new Samsung Galaxy S III phone, which I love, adore, and covet fully. That said, I’m discouraged that she doesn’t use it to its full potential. So, if your significant other has the Galaxy S III, check out this post and become a S III power user.
- And to add insult to injury, it looks like Mrs. The Droid Lawyer will have Jelly Bean on her phone before either of my devices. Let’s hope it’s just a sick rumor.
- Erik Mazzone has this great post on why you need to sell your iPhone. Of course, his reasons aren’t the same as mine.
- And finally, here’s an interesting lament or self-debate by Vince Horiuchi about abandoning the iPhone.