played around with both the Droid Bionic and the Motorola Razr. It's time to upgrade my smartphone, and IHTC Rezound Screenshot narrowed my choice down to either, the Bionic or the Razr.

That is, until I played with the HTC Rezound. This phone is GORGEOUS!

It boasts a 1.5 gHZ processor, more than the Bionic and Razr, and the same 720p HD. CNET has this review of the device, which is pretty flattering.

CNET calls the phone "beefy," although I felt it was less bulkier than the Bionic and the Razr. This is a solid device, which I felt comfortable handling, as opposed to the Razr, which felt like it would break the minute I sat down in my "too tight jeans."

The Verizon salesman (so take this for what it's worth) stated that the Rezound will be one of the first Verizon phones to receive the Ice Cream Sandwich update, beginning early 2012.

I fully agree with CNET's conclusion regarding the device:

The HTC Rezound definitely holds its own against the other two Android superphones from Verizon. It has an amazing HD display, an impressive 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 4G LTE speeds, a great camera, and plenty of multimedia features, and it ships with a nice pair of earbuds even if they don't seem the most durable. The Beats Audio software does boost the sound quality, but we're not sure if that should be the sole reason for purchasing the Rezound. We're also suspicious of its battery life, and its hefty build might put off those who want a slimmer handset. Yet, its powerful features and unique design could be enough for you to drop $299.99 after a two-year agreement for it.

Jeff Taylor

I'm just an ordinary guy living an extraordinary life. I'm also an attorney and I blog about Android for lawyers. You can follow me on Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, or Google+.

8 Comments

Charles Suitt · November 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I'm contemplating a similar choice.  Thanks for your comments. Another advantage for the Rezound affecting my thoughts is the included inductive charging battery cover. I’ve been using Palm+ the last couple.years charging inductively and with the smaller Rezound battery on 4G, inductive charging is definitely attractive. I also recall the weak battery on the HTC Thunderbolt.

Jeffrey Taylor · November 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Charles,

You’re absolutely right about the Rezound. I didn’t mention the inductive charging, but it is a fantastic feature. Also, although it isn’t, the screen appears slightly brighter than the Bionic and the Razr.

Unfortunately, I thought I’d be heading to the Verizon store yesterday to pick one up, but the practice of law has swamped me. Perhaps tomorrow…

Konrad · November 18, 2011 at 1:11 am

Hey Jeffrey,
did you manage to grab a rezound? I am thinking of grabbing my girlfriend the Rezound for Christmas, I have the Thunderbolt, and I am worried the batterylife will be wretched on this one too! I had to get the extended battery and now I love my phone, but I don't think she will be very keen on a bulkier look on an already bulky phone.
Ps. Do you think Verizon will have either of these up on sale for Black Friday?

Jeffrey Taylor · November 18, 2011 at 6:52 am

Konrad, I haven’t picked up the Rezound yet. I’m waiting to see if there will be any deals on Black Friday. So far, none of the teaser sites have anything. My guess is probably not, simply because of its newness, but who knows.

The Verizon rep informed me that the battery life seems to be better. Obviously over time that will lessen. The rep had the phone on listening to music all day, connected to bluetooth, and no screen sleep. He was testing battery life,and indicated he was satisfied.

As for bulkiness, I was impressed. The Resound didn’t have the feeling, despite its bigger screen. I felt the Bionic and Razr were each bulkier, and thus my hestitation for purchasing one. I like the weight too, just about right, although the Razr is the lightest of the 3. Here’s a comparison of all three: http://goo.gl/kAcQH. However, I think this is wrong because it shows no gps/HDMI. This site has the right specs as far as I can tell: http://goo.gl/3VBYL

Brant Wedel · November 20, 2011 at 9:15 am

The Bionic has an factory inductive cover available as well, and has excellent battery life (especially with the barley obtrusive extended battery) … My experience with HTC has been awful in terms of battery life and SENSE UI responsiveness =P

nancy · November 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Thanks for sharing and if you havent purchased yet.  The above phones are all on amazon wireless for a $.01

Jeffrey Taylor · November 21, 2011 at 7:40 pm

That’s a fantastic deal! I did indeed purchase one, since Amazon limited my ability to purchase a phone, and for once, Amazon customer service ended up being “customer no service.”

Selecting a New Smartphone | The Droid Lawyer™ · November 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

[…] I told you, I became eligible for an upgrade to my phone for a "discounted" price. I debated between […]